Sunday, April 18, 2010

The giant vinyl bag! (Part 2)

My giant vinyl bag is done... its not quite as good as I wanted it to turn out, but it definately is giant....

sewing 002
One piece of liner with makeshift pocket.

For the liner, I chose some sport nylon.  I have another small glitter vinyl purse that uses a similar material as its liner and it works really well.  I did a makeshift pocket on one side for things I need quick access to.  I didn't even measure it...

sewing 003
The liner, finished.

I sewed the liner to mimic the actual shape of the bag, rather than just a big old loose liner.  I have a pet peeve about coins and stuff getting lost in there.

sewing 004
The silver lining?  (it looks so much more metallic with flash on)

My plan, originally, was to put the liner inside the bag, sew around the very top once, and then use a piece of bias or twill tape to cover up the raw edges.  Unfortunately, the liner came out a bit too small, so as I sewed it in, there wasn't enough of it to go around.  I was able to ease it in by sewing the bias tape to the vinyl and then hand sew the liner to the other end of the bias tape.

sewing 007
Finished!  (yes, it is that big compared to the cat litter bucket)

I used the twill tape to sew on some clear plastic handles that also have glitter embedded in them.  I think I will probably add a removable shoulder strap at some point too, but otherwise, I've already got it loaded with all my junk and a sock project and still have tons of room!

No comments: