Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bread: Take 3

My second bread baking adventure was pretty disastrous.  I got this honey wheatberry bread kit that you were supposed to be able to make artisan no-knead style, but they only had you rise it for like 2 hours when everything else I've seen that is no-knead has to rise overnight.  It was too wet and I ended up with what looked like focaccia rather than the ball shaped loaf I was supposed to get.  Pretty tasty though...
This actually inspired me to find a basic focaccia recipe, which I did in my better homes and gardens prize winning recipes cookbook.  I had everything to do it with, except yeast.  And then I looked at some of my bread recipes in the kitchenaid mixer manual and all I needed to do those was yeast.  So I put a jar of yeast on the grocery list.  Then I convinced Tim that we didn't need to buy bread and I would just bake us bread from now on, which was pretty easy.
That night I prepared some dough using the quick mix, cool rise method.  It was actually a bit easier to get the dough to come together with the recipe because you get a range of flour and can add more or less based on texture.  After it is mixed and kneaded (by my kitchen aid dough hood), it rests for only 20 minutes at regular room temperature and actually puffs up quite a bit before you divide it and form loaves.  Then the loaves get refrigerated for 2-12 hours (I left mine in there from 10pm to 2pm the next day and they were fine) before baking.  I should mention that you use something to the equivalent of 3 packages of yeast.  This is really close to storebought bread in terms of texture because all the little bubbles are very tiny and uniform and its really dense, but it is on a completely different scale in terms of flavor.  You can taste the yeast, salt, and butter so much.  I actually think I might cut back on the salt next batch.  We still have a loaf waiting in the freezer but I think I will also try a rapid rise method on my next day off.  And focaccia is still waiting to be made.