Monday, July 16, 2007

warning: blood/wound description

So today my mom asked me to feed my iguana, Rex. We give him either greens from outside or a pre-made frozen salad that we keep in the downstairs freezer next to his cage. I went down to get a container of the salad. I forgot that I had left one of the used pie dishes we feed him in on top of the fridge. This was directly over where the door shuts. As I opened it, it started to fall. I heard it start to fall and grabbed for it. Normally this would have been fine but it hit somehow on the door in mid air, shattering it into huge, razor sharp pieces. Then it hit the floor and shattered into a bajillion more pieces. At this point, I already knew my hand had been cut.
Mom yelled down "Are you ok?" to which I replied "I'm bleeding." As she was coming down with paper towels, I tried to get to the bathroom because it was really bleeding badly and ended up stepping on small shard, which started my foot bleeding. She cleaned up my foot and threw a quick bandage on and then I held some paper towels on my thumb as she tried to get the glass and blood cleaned up before the cats got into everything. After a while we had to pull the paper towels off and put on a telfa pad and then I had to hold my thumb up high for the rest of the day. Then I had to shower with a bag on my hand.
As it turns out, the glass sliced a large portion of my finger pad off of my righ thumb. It will likely take a long time to heal.
Note: If you have to take damage to your hand, try to avoid the thumb. It is high in nerve endings, has its own extra strong pulse (aka more blood flow), and the muscles/tendons that control it extend down into your arm making it quite difficult to keep immobile.

No comments: